Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

Reality Check

Last night went great, today was a little bit different. Started the morning late cause check out wasn't until 900 also that's when the store opened and i wanted to pick up a few things. But lesson learned, never start at 930 on the trail cause you will end up freaking out at 630pm when you still haven't made your mileage for the day and you will run downhill the last mile and a half. Or maybe that's just me. Walked alone yesterday but leap frogged with the same folks from the first day. Today though i only saw one other hiker the entire day and it felt like this is the real deal being alone all day. Plus the first night was a campground with other pct hikers, last night was a motel, but tonight I'm just out, just out. All day I've been conserving water because there are no guaranteed sources for the next 24 miles. So this evening after my little downhill event i decided to just set up the tent and have a cold dinner to save that H2O just in case. Which meant my dinner consisted ! of 3 small pieces of jerky, a 3oz pack of cheese-its, a Luna bar and about 8oz of water. Constipation here i come. Speaking of which i cant eat my oats in the morning cause that requires water too, hmm ill have to figure that out tomorrow. Anyway I've done away with my map holder it was a waste, the trail is clearly marked so far and the only times I've used my maps I've almost always been disappointed that i wasn't further along the trail. Besides half the time you can see the next 2 miles of trail ahead of you peaking over hills or around corners, i haven't decided if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Alright bedtime, hope my tent doesn't dew up again cause I'm camped in a gully sort of thing. Thought of the day; OK i think I'm back to wtf am i doing!?

JWC on the PCT

No comments: