Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Thursday, May 1, 2008

It didn't look this hard on the internet

Aaalright so last entry was definitely sugar coated to some degree and in walking today i thought what for? So its not horrible, but its pretty damn close. Basically I' finding out i scheduled my trip as if i adventure raced on the side when i wasn't donating my body to science in the search for human body's' V02 max. Last night the strap that i "fixed" came loose about 345am and subsequently all the moisture that had accumulated soaked my sleeping bag until i awoke and figured it out. So this morning i had to pack up a wet sleeping bag and tent. i thought i would have time to dry it out on my lunch break but when i realized today's mileage was lagging at lunch and i still had 13 miles and about 2000ft to climb i didn't. yeah so i got into my next stop at 700pm and decided i needed a motel--i know what your thinking but, my sleeping bag would be freezing cold and 2nd i didn't want to mention this but my chafe is balling outta control if you know what I'm saying. also i have a blister! the size of my pinky toe underneath my big toe and across the webbing to the second toe, good times. haven't decided what to do with that yet. so I'm finishing up dinner and just read the mileage for tomorrow; 22.6-i know, I'm a frickin genius. off to the races again tomorrow...my feet hate me. now for some sleep in a queen bed, man i am so hardcore. Song of the day in my head; you knooow its hard out here for a pimp...wait is the lyric hard or hot? well shit either way it applied today.

seee ya JWC on the PCT

2 comments:

Aunt Janie said...

Hang in there, Jess! Are compression shorts now looking like a good idea, after all? :)

Unknown said...

From Lydia:

Jesse, I saw your picture on facebook. I don't think I've ever seen you in shoes before where are your thongs? I'm worried because we haven't heard from you in three days! What do you want for dinner? Lydia