Day 26, Mile 454.4 - Long, long day. 23.7 miles today and a lot more climbs then i would have guessed by looking at the data book. Ran out of snack food about mid-day. So the last 13 miles was a little bit of a blur, not cause i was walking so fast but because i was so hungry. Also, when we stayed at camp Glenwood in that little lodge we boiled water in a large pot that we found. The last two days as i have been starving cause of the cold my water has tasted like a potato-bacon chowder of some sort, a little heavy on the pepper. The pizza craving was finally realized when we arrived in Agua Dulce. I don't know how this stuff keeps happening but right when we set our stuff down in the restaurant Jeff Saufley(owner of Hiker Heaven) came in and offered to drive our packs up to his spot. So after some great pizza we walked up here and got ushered into the program. Loaner clothes over here, put your dirty clothes there, showers and transportation sign-ups on the board. Very organized, very helpful, super efficient, i like it. We are zero-ing here tomorrow, i need to work out some gear issues, some logistics, and my body needs a break. Glad to be done with the freezing cold, on my way to the searing hot. Thought of the day; i wonder how many ants are on the planet at any given time, i already counted 289,806,253 just on the pct so...Song of the day; welcome to the juuungle we got fun and gaaames, by Guns and Roses Kraig tells me. Craving of the day; cold grapes and fried chicken.
JWC on the PCT
Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
- Finally arrived at Hiker Heaven
- A 30 mile day; holler, at, your boy
- I walked like a woman, for 5.5 miles
- Now this is hiking the PCT
- Live by the gear, die by the gear
- Wrightwood at the right time
- 1,570 calories in 20 minutes
- Hi my name is Jesse, and I am an Aguaholic
- Its Burnin Up, We on Fyyyaaah
- On the trail again...but not
- El Grande Oso
- Back to the back to the BBSRerR
- Coon Creek Creepy Cabin
- The Wind is No Longer My Friend
- The Durka Durka 5
- All's Well That Ends Well
- Back on the Trail
- "Some Pictures"
- The Concrete Jungle
- I like it when I'm fast
- Fast Times at Ridge-top High
- Just the Boost I Needed
- More of the same
- The longest day
- Reality Check
- It didn't look this hard on the internet
- ▼ May (26)