Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, May 26, 2008

I walked like a woman, for 5.5 miles

Day 24, Mile 400.7 - I should immediately explain the title of this post. There was a significant amount of snow on the ground by the time we left camp this morning, so to be more efficient in my travels through this winter wonderland i followed Gina's footprints. I awoke this morning to rain that turned into sleet that turned into snow, in a matter of an hour. My tent did an excellent job of soaking my sleeping bag and just not doing an adequate job in general. I realized if i stayed any longer i would be endangering my chances of staying warm tonight, or for the next 2 nights for that matter. But after 5 miles of hiking in wind driven snow Gina was freezing and me and Craig were not exactly at our best. We came upon Camp Glenwood, a single building with an outhouse. We found a side door unlocked and went inside to get out of the cold. After briefly exploring we debated on going back out, but Gina decided we should make a small fire in the 55 gallon drum stove just to thaw toes and fingers. She! got on it before anyone could say otherwise. One collective thought led to another and now here we are 4.5 hrs later fire going, gear drying, and we are spending the night; the snow still falling all the while. Only one drawback, we have to make 27 mile days back to back to make it to the Saufley's at Agua Dulce on time. "On time" meaning not starving, as i only have 2 days worth of food left as planned. We found some old sprouted potatoes that we will fry up, hopefully give us some more fuel for tomorrow. The plan is to wake up early around 4ish and get in the miles, snowing or not. Got about 3 inches today from what i can tell, hope i wake up to blue skies tomorrow because 27 miles will be tough anyway, anyhow. Can't say that i expected to be inundated with snow on any part of the southern California PCT. So it will be interesting to see how the next two days go, possibly cold and miserable, possibly not. Thought of the day; i wonder how i would be handling all of this i! f i were alone. Songs of the day; summertime by sublime, and i forget the name but it goes "in the name of the streets- dah dat, dah dat da-da-daaah dadoo dah dat" by Warren G or Nate Dogg, or Dr Dre or all of them, somebody. Craving of the day; yeah still with the pizza.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: