Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, May 26, 2008

A 30 mile day; holler, at, your boy

Day 25, Mile 430.7 - I got some pretty decent sleep last night, only problem was another thru-hiker showed up last night and we thought he would tend the fire since he was sleeping right in front of it, but he did not. So it got a little chilly, that seems par for the course the last few days. We left camp Glenwood about 620 and got into camp here at messenger flats about 710, 30 miles later. It was a long 30 miles with two big climbs and walking in melting snow for the first 4hrs. We were all kind of equally amazed we pulled it off, now its only 24 into Agua Dulce tomorrow. It was a good day all around though despite the arduous journey. Only about 4 miles into the morning and we came upon a cache with fruit, bad energy bars, Gatorade, wine, beer, and cherry pie. We each had a slice of cherry pie and took some of the various other things. I don't even like cherry pie, but i thought it would probably be a good calorie boost, and it was. At the 18 mile mark at a trailhead a man who rode by us earlier up on a ridge offered us some snacks and Pepsi's. It's amazing what strapping a pack on your back and smiling can do to get people in the giving mood. We got into camp and it is really cold and we are basically inside a cloud. I'm getting used to the cold now and the fact that I'm now in my sleeping bag and still cant really feel my toes doesn't seem that alarming. Also yesterday was a good break, because i had no shin splint like pain at all today. I just woke back up its been about 6 minutes, i should probably do what my body says and continue that trend. Plus my tent is starting to dew up as it does, and i would like to try and be asleep before i start noticing drips here and there. Thought of the day; didn't have one that stuck with me. Songs of the day; oh mister sun, sun, mister golden sun pleaaase shiiine down on me-and repeat, by Barney and friends i think. In those last 5 miles it was- that's the sound of the men working on the chaaaiin gaayeeeyang, don't know who that's by. Craving of the day; it got specific- pizza topped with chicken, bacon, mushrooms, and pineapple. Hopefully that will be satiated tomorrow in Agua Dulce. Oh wow i can feel my toes finally; goodnight.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: