Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Hi my name is Jesse, and I am an Aguaholic

Day 19, Mile 333.4-ish - Last night was fairly breezy and i still cannot get my tent right. I felt like a midget in a large grocery bag trying to sleep in a tornado. Today was rough at times as well. It started out with my hose leaking out all my water while i unknowingly packed my bag this morning. Then it got better when i found a small cache just after i realized i was out of water. But i did not take enough, it got hot and i drank more then i planned. Then it got better when at lunch time there was a cache with some ice water and oranges. But this time there was a bunch of people at the spot so i didn't get as much water as i should have. After lunch the PCT was a complete bastard and took us after a brief climb around the edge of Silverwood Lake. I say bastard because while i expect lakes on the trail to be pristine a few fish jumping even slightly boring; i do not expect powerboats, tubing, booze, and shade awnings on the lakes sandy beaches. It was like going to Disneyland as a 10 year-old and getting into to toon town, but then having to give a survey to the other children asking them how much fun they were having. I managed to convince myself while witnessing this wonderful celebration of proper American recreation that they must have a store where the pct actually comes down to the same level of the lake. My data book alluded to it as far as i was concerned. So after arriving fairly dehydrated and thinking not very clearly and only of Gatorade, i commenced searching. I probably walked an extra 3 miles today. One guy said it was here, another there, at one point i was close to shutting down and started repeating the phrase "trail magic... trail magic" out loud. That's what thru-hikers call it when great things happen at the right time out here. My chant worked, this guy rode up on a bike and asked me and this other hiker if we were hiking the pct, we said yes. He then proceeded to give me the rest of his Powerade he had on his bike then yelled at his nephew to give me another full one too. This was a giant boost and i decided i could make it the 3 or so miles to the store wherever it was to get more. I was wrong. I just burned all my "boost" off and ended up just getting back to feeling dehydrated and dragged my ass back to the trail. The three amigos whom i found out are from Spain actually, were sitting under the bridge taking a snack break we talked water and the trail and one of them gave me a warm but welcomed bottle of water. I picked up some "just in case" water from the creek in one of the Powerade bottles to filter later if need be. I made the 16oz's almost last all the way to a small creek 4.3 miles later. The creek was a saviour and i was very happy to find it considering i started doubting its existence about 1 mile after leaving the three amigos. Everything is all good now. Camped with Gina and Craig again on a ridge top, everybody is shooting for the McDonalds at Cajon Pass for late breakfast or early lunch tomorrow. I decided after this whole thing is over i should do some sort of a fa! st or cleanse or both. Eating crap everyday is getting to me, but i can always use the calories. Alright this is entirely too long. Song of the day; P-C-T top dollar with the gold flea collar, dippin' in my blue impala... and repeat. Thought of the day; i am going to die in the Mojave.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: