Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Monday, May 26, 2008

Live by the gear, die by the gear


Day 22, Mile 375.7 - I would first like to say that i had many things to say on this post, but given my current situation i cannot think about anything else right now. Which brings me to a correction from a previous post; i previously said something to the effect of "i have to stop writing its freezing". Well i was wrong, that was not freezing. Freezing is what and where i am now, camped on the side of Mt. Baden-Powell. I have almost all my clothes on that i think will help and wait hold on... haha that was Craig coming out to tell me that if i feel I'm gonna die i can come and squeeze in with him and Gina in their MSR Hubba Hubba tent. So he thinks its that bad too huh, well that's comforting, nice gesture but i think i will make it. It is blowing pretty hard and gusting harder at times so i cannot set up my frickin tent. I decided to wrap it around my sleeping bag for some wind protection. Speaking of which this damn sleeping bag is not gonna cut it either. I mean shit i didn't budget for this trip to buy all my gear, find out most of it doesn't quite work like i need it to and then buy all new gear. For the moment though i am liking the drawstring hood on the bag because i am now writing to you from inside a goose down cave. Craig informed me today that Big Agnes bags are made for big people; i am not big, therefore it is a cave when it is supposed to be a cocoon. So in 4 days i will be able to get online or somehow some way get a new bag and new tent, hopefully on sale. I am going to keep writing because its keeping my mind off my transition into hypothermia - OK its not thaaat bad. Today we got dropped back close to where we left the trail by Mollyanne the trail angel whom we stayed with- which was just too great by the way. Just as we realized that we were actually a mile or more away from the spot an old station wagon pulled up with the "three amigos" and another trail angel at the wheel named Bob. He knew the area very well and we got a little geography lesson, oh yeah which reminds me i was completely wrong about being between Mt Baldy and Hesperia, it was Phelan and Pine Mountain, i know you cared. Anyway so he dropped us off at the right spot and we got to shoot the shit with the amigos for a little while. One of them asked to see the bottom of my shoes and said aa-ha I've been following your prints for the last 2 days. That happens a lot for me too, you start looking for a certain set of tracks at the various junctions. Man i should have either not drank any milk in town or changed into clean socks before bed, or both, cause this goose down cave is getting funkay funkay funkay. And now this post has stayed way past its welcome, so I'm going to stop. Thought of the day; couldn't stop thinking of all the great comments left on my blog - really cool, really motivating. Song of the day; Oye como va... had a little beat box version of that going, keeping rhythm with a walking stick today.post script: it is the morning, it is still cold and windy and there are clouds, and i survived. Now i just have to convince myself to get back out in it.

JWC on the PCT

No comments: