Some thoughts before departure...

  • I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
  • I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
  • Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
  • I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
  • After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
  • Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
  • Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
  • I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
  • My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
  • I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.

Sunday, May 4, 2008

The longest day

Day 4 Mile 86.6 - I have found my pattern now on the PCT. Feel good about making it all the way to Canada up until just after lunch then it starts sucking big time. Left last nights camp at 7am this morning and got into tonight's camp at 6:30ish approx 24 miles later. The last 10 miles were walking along the side of a small mountain range, every time you turned right you could see another mile to go it was taxing both physically and mentally. Also the wind was blowing and gusting causing me- 3000+ feet up on a trail no wider then a foot- to start talking to myself. One of the popular mantras was "the wind is my friend" and a weirder one was this song that the girls liked at camp. i don't know what its called but the part of the chorus was what i was singing "dooont stop belieeeeving... something something down the boulevard, there was danger or strangers or something lurking in the nigh-hi-hyyyte" Now that i look at it it sounds like the rally cry for hookers with aspirations everywhere, well it ! still worked for me. Met some guys here tonight that are also headed into Warner Springs tomorrow, we both realized in talking about it that tomorrow is Sunday and we wont be able to get our mail drops so were gonna split a hotel room three ways. This is good for all parties involved, one guy has a bunch of blisters, and i just got two new ones today cause i didn't change my socks at lunch like i have been. Also i won the battle with chafe on the b-ball court but now he is "butting" in elsewhere, which is all bad. Hopefully tomorrows hotel stay will help me catch up on these things. Lastly, i am really not sure what i am doing out here. If the object was to torture myself until i figure out what i want to do with my life then great, a few more days like today and it will be all clear. I knew coming into this that the first week was gonna be the hardest but gaaaawd damn. Hope tomorrow brings better things. Haha shit my tent just blew down on me! I wish one of you were out here! to see all this ridiculousness, i miss everyone- and i usually don't get "homesick". Thought for the day as i lie under my collapsed tent; water is everything.

JWC on the PCT

1 comment:

Beardens said...

I love the fact that you were singing "Strangers waiting....up and down the boulevard. Shadows searching in the night...."!

By the way it's Journey singin, and it's called "Don't Stop Believing."

These posts are far more entertaining than I had hoped for.

Good luck from the Bearden casa,
Berti