Some thoughts before departure...
- I am still not a vet, doctor, lawyer, dog trainer, cia agent, fbi agent or a navy seal so...walk
- I am doing this for the challenge of course, and I hope to gain a confidence that comes with this type of endeavor. But also I hope to gain some new knowledge about the world and the truths that reside in it.
- Am I walking to "find myself"? Or just to take a walk. You decide...and you'll probably be right.
- I'm not in the best shape of my life, but I do have a lot of new great gear so....
- After living with my parents the last 2 years, it makes perfect sense to walk 2650 miles - alone.
- Yes there will be bears, cougars, rattlesnakes and scorpions both imagined and real along the way. I'm definitely more worried about those imagined.
- Am I scared? Not as of yet, more of just a constantly increasing anticipation. But check back with me on the 3rd night in the desert.
- I tried to keep my pack fairly light, but I definitely would not call it ultralight. Somehow when I added up all my ultralight gear and put it in my ultralight pack, I ended up with just slightly heavy.
- My biggest concern for this trip is that I get too hungry somewhere along the way, my brain goes awol as it usually does when I get hungry and subsequently you never hear from me again...I'll try to eat frequently.
- I am not Christopher McCandless. This is not Into the Wild.
Tuesday, April 29, 2008
A Baseline Per Se
So, this morning I got up from my bed which I will not see for a long while. I made breakfast to the sound of a jackhammer which is in our backyard demo-ing the pool deck. Now I could go on here about leaving behind the sounds of industry and city life for the sweet tweet of the song bird and melodious wilderness etc. but really it was not that bad after I closed my window. And then I thought jeez, windows are nice, won't have that either. Anyway the basic reason for this entry is to give a standard of writing with which you may judge my level of sanity as I progress northbound on the PCT. I plan on going unsane from time to time just bear with me, I should mention I tend to hallucinate at higher elevations when I sleep. So maybe this thing won't be as boring to read as I thought. I start tomorrow from the Mexican border about 2 miles from Campo, CA at sunrise.... So to be completely honest I actually have yet to hike 20 miles in a single day in my life. But that will change tomorrow, and then after that I can say I have yet to hike 20 miles in a day, two days in a row. That will change the day after tomorrow...that's the plan anyways :) Alright, I still got packages to send, things to pack, and I gotta get down to San Diego this afternoon for pre-lift off. See ya